IS THIS YOUR FIRST TIME IN NEW YORK? KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT
History, art, culture, and beauty combine to provide the quintessential ‘New York’ Experience. The fact that New York City ropes in 60 million international tourists annually is a testament to its standing as ‘the City of Dreams.’ Apart from the sprawling skyline, magnificent landmarks, and vibrant ambiance, NY has its fair share of surprises. Do you have an upcoming trip to New York planned? If yes, then know what to expect on your maiden visit to the Big Apple.
FIVE THINGS TO EXPECT ON YOUR MAIDEN TRIP TO NEW YORK
- New York is Expensive – The infamy of New York as an exorbitantly priced city bears significant truth. Everything, from toiletry to telephone calls, will be higher than what you pay back home. In fact, with an average monthly cost of living of USD 3563, New York City is among the top 0.1 percent of the most expensive cities in the world. So, when planning a trip to New York, be prepared to spend some ‘insane’ sums of money.
- New York is more than Manhattan – New York City encompasses five boroughs, with Manhattan at the core. While you should venture out and explore Brooklyn, the Bronx, Queens, and Staten Island, it is advisable to center your first trip in Manhattan. Some iconic NYC landmarks, such as Times Square, the Empire State Building, and Central Park, are all perched within Manhattan.
- Difficult Subway – Despite all its praise-worthy glories, New York City is complicated to navigate, especially if you are taking the subway. With poor signage and instructions, getting from point A to B can be a daunting ordeal, especially if it is your first time in the city. In addition, the facilities of the New York subway are not upgraded, and the crowd can make you feel overwhelmed and uncomfortable.
- Pizza All Around – Despite being the ‘love child’ of Italy, you might be surprised to see that the streets of New York City are inundated with the smell of pizza. From north to south and east to west, you won’t be able to walk too many blocks in NYC without bumping into a drool-worthy pizza place. Conversely, lousy pizza places are also equally rampant in NYC. However, the crux remains that pizza stares at you right in the face in NYC. However, some of the famous pizza places you can try on your trip to New York include Joe’s Pizza, Grimaldi’s Pizza, Don Antonio, Lombardi’s Pizzeria, which is the first pizza place in NYC, inaugurated in 1905, and more.
- You Can Save Money with Discount Passes – You can consider attraction passes for your maiden voyage to NYC. They can save you money, especially if you plan to visit and explore all the popular tourist hotspots of the city. In addition, you can opt for ‘All-Inclusive’ passes that are set for several days, and you can fit in as many landmarks as possible. Such passes can save you money and come with perks, such as ‘skip the line’ and more.
So, there we have it, a crisp list of the five things that you should expect on your first trip to New York.